2020 – a decade in the rearview mirror
Back in 2010, I did a post about “a decade in the rearview mirror” where I summed up my life since the new millennium started.
*pause to consider I have a blog archive going back OVER A DECADE* 🤯
Anyway, since I still blog (albeit less than it used to be) I figured I could do the same summary this time.
10 years ago I had been with Markus for about 2 years and we were living together in a 3 room flat. We had a dog named Zaphod and a corn snake named Flamma. At the beginning of the year, I was still trying to get by after graduating by working odd jobs here and there.
Now, in retrospect, I can say the future got pretty eventful! 😄 Here are some highlights:
- Had Oggie, a Shih-Tzu belonging to a friend, living with us for a month. He was cute, but very smol and very hairy.
- Got my first job as a web developer at a local advertising agency! Best part: I’m allowed to bring my dog with me to the office!
- Bought this new cool thing called an iPad. My one and only, I never bought another one.
- Travelled to Munich, Germany with work!
- Went to Sweden Rock Festival and saw Ozzy Osbourne.
- Cut my hair into a fauxhawk. Loved it at first, but I got tired of the maintenance almost immediately. And growing it out was a pain in the ass. I’ve never tried a short hairstyle since. 😂
- On July 22 a lone gunman killed 80 people, mostly kids and teenagers, in Norway. It was surreal on a whole new level. Things like that just don’t happen in Scandinavia.
- Decided to foster a cat from the local animal protection association.
- Moved to a house. It’s only a rental, but still… Beats living in a 3rd floor apartment if you ask me.
- The first Hobbit movie came out. Of course I saw it ASAP.
- Proposed to Markus after 4 1/2 years together – and he said yes! 💕
- Bought my first ever smartphone: a Samsung Galaxy S2
- Got a new web developer job at a different, slightly bigger, agency.
- Visited Gotland during Medieval Week
- Discovered LOTRO and fell in love with the game
- Realised we had fostered the cat for over a year and nobody had wanted to adopt her. We decided she’s ours now. 😸
- Celebrated my 30th birthday! Whoo! 🥂🎉
- Went to London for the first time.
- Started playing Guild Wars 2.
- Got my first ever tattoo. A tiny Smaug on my right arm.
- Speaking of which, the second Hobbit movie came out.
- Got a Kindle. Still have it actually.
- Got a Windows Phone. I still think it was a really great phone and would love to have a Windows Phone again. Too bad the rest of the world didn’t agree and Microsoft discontinued them. 😕
- Started my witch tattoo sleeve. Turns out tattoos are addictive!
- Had a massive online identity crisis. Who and what did I want to be online? Did I even want to continue blogging?
- Decided to keep blogging but change the “brand” a bit. Left my domain rockwitch.net behind and bought a new domain: imaginarykarin.com. This site is 5 years old now! 🎂
- Got an offer to come work at my friend’s startup company. Happily agreed and left the agency world behind.
- Finished my witch sleeve!
- Zaphod turned 10 and we celebrated with a cake made from cat food.
- Went to Gothenburg for the first time, and fell completely in love with the city.
- Travelled to Scotland where I got to see both the city of Edinburgh and the Highlands. 💕 If I were to leave Sweden, Scotland would be very high up on the list of countries to move to.
- The last Hobbit movie. End of another era.
- Got the best Christmas gift from Markus! We spent a day out in the woods photographing wild Golden Eagles! It was magical!
- Went back to Gothenburg. This time we saw Iron Maiden live, the Book of Souls tour. 🤘
- Participated in Inktober for the first time.
- Lost my job in January due to the startup being sold out. Wasn’t a huge problem tho as I soon got an offer to come work for the company who bought it. Funny how things work out. It’s remote work tho, so I’m working from home while everyone else is in Stockholm.
- Zaphod was diagnosed with cancer and was put to sleep shortly after. He died on May 26th, at 12 years old. It’s been years and I have a new dog now, but I still don’t think I’m completely over Zappo. He was special.
- 10 year anniversary with Markus. 🥰
- Markus also turned 30, so we took a weekend trip to Copenhagen to celebrate both the birthday and the anniversary.
- Another trip to London. This time we did the Harry Potter Studio Tour!
- Flamma, my pet snake, died after 13 years with me.
- We got a new dog, a lab/hound mix. She was a batshit crazy puppy, but also very fun. I haven’t been bored a single day since I got her.
- GOT MARRIED! 👰❤🤵
- Travelled to Lissabon, Portugal with work. Was fun as I finally got to spend time with all the other people at the company.
- Visited the Icehotel for the first time! What an epic place – and so close to home! 10 out of 10, highly recommend!
- My grandmother passed away from a stroke in January. The last of her generation in my family. 🥀
- Took my parents to a weekend trip to Stockholm. They never travel so it was a pretty big deal for them.
- Got my third tattoo, a reindeer skull om my right calf.
- Took a nose work class with the dog and am now certified to compete!
And what about the future?
To be completely honest I’m having a hard time staying positive about the future in general right now.
Trump scares me on a level I’ve never been scared of a politician before. USA is so big and powerful they affect all of us and I’m legit afraid of what might happen if he remains in power. And in both my own country and the rest of Europe there’s been a surge in more extremist right-wing polictics and general unrest for a while now.
The climate crisis is getting worse and nobody seems willing to actually DO SOMETHING. Consumers being more aware is great, but the biggest change has to happen on a much higher level. Countries and large companies, not just individuals, need to change their policies and ways of earning money but nobody wants to rock the boat.
I’ve personally been experiencing the changes up where I live over the past years. The seasons are moving and nature is acting weirder and weirder every year.
Sorry about the doom and gloom, but that’s how I feel right now.
But I know the best thing to do is stay positive, help in what small ways you can, and vote both with your actual vote and your wallet. Nobody can do everything but everybody can do something, right?
I do have some nice things I want to work towards in my personal life:
I’m considering some changes career-wise. I have a few ideas, but nothing decided yet.
I want to continue doing nose work with Runa and am currently aiming for a competition in May. Wish us luck!
Markus and I want to visit Medieval Week on Gotland again. And do a roadtrip around northern Norway. Hopefully we can do both in the not-too-distant future!
Other than that… I’ve never been much of a planner. We’ll see how things work out. 🙂
Hope everyone else had a nice holiday season, and that you’ll have a great 2020! Happy New Year!